Summertime in Forest Park means more time outdoors and more wear and tear on your lawn and garden. Insects, weeds, pets, and company all play a role in your garden not being as appealing as it once was. Fear not! Schauer's Hardware has the knowledge, products, and recommendations to get your grass from shabby to wonderful in no time.
Lawn Care Year Round
While most of us only think of our Forest Park lawn and garden in the summer months, regular upkeep through the year keeps your yard looking greener and your garden vibrant.
- Starting with fall, bushes and plants need to be cut back, sprinklers should be emptied, and grass should be fertilized for the last time.
- Winter in Forest Park is easy, once it freezes, let your grass be. If you took care of it in the fall, it’s fine until spring!
- With the warming of spring comes the first mow of the year, beginning starter plants inside, and the plans of outside improvements.
- Summertime in Forest Park means regular feedings, planting started flowers and vegetables, cutting your grass a little higher, (so it doesn’t brown as easily,) and seeding any areas that are thin.
Of course, maintaining your Forest Park lawn and garden means tools. And just like your lawn, tools need to be cared for too.
- Emptying the gas out of your power tools at the end of summer will help limit old gas from messing up the motor and will prevent costly repairs. (This goes for oil as well, change old oil at the end of the summer season.)
- Gardening tools need care too. Keeping your pruning shears, shovels, and other gardening tools sharp and free of corrosion will stop damage or rot to your plants.
Keeping Pests at Bay
Your garden provides the ideal scenic backdrop for gatherings throughout the summer months, until that first mosquito bite or accidental step on a prickly weed happens. No worries, we can help you ward off the never-ending itch of biting bugs and the irritation of not-so-nice plants.
- Spraying or spreading for weeds, crabgrass, and biting insects should be done at the beginning of summer and depending on what kind of prevention is used, every 2 to 6 weeks afterwards.
- To keep you and your pets safe when using insecticides or herbicides, always read the product labels
Everyone usually likes summer and the life it brings to our outside spaces. If you are searching for the best products to keep your Forest Park lawn and garden
green, happy, and worry-free, Schauer's Hardware is the place to be.
Back To Schauer's Tidbits